Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tahoe - Our Last Full Day

Our last full day in Tahoe was Father's Day.
Happy Father's Day my love. I hope you had a wonderful day.

It was also M's birthday. TC made a very yummy chocolate cake and we ate it all day.



After celebrating Daddy Day and M's birthday we went on a hike. That's two in one trip! A first for us.

This was #8 - Vikingsholm and Emerald Point in best easy day hikes Lake Tahoe by Tracy Salcedo. We did not walk the entire hike listed in the book. We walked to the Ehrman Mansion then back.

Ehrman Mansion has beautiful grounds. You can purchase tickets for a tour of the inside (which we did not do this time).


We sat on the beach. The girls and I imaged what it must have been like to take a boat out to the teahouse. We went to the little museum. They have the suitcase of Helen Henry Smith. As a little girl, Mrs. Smith spent 14 Summers in Tahoe at this mansion and going to the teahouse. It was fun to see what kind of things she brought with her every Summer. Her fancy pink dress for tea, books, her camera, her teddy bear, her miniature silver tea set...etc. O was amazed that another little girl brought her teddy bear everywhere just like she did.

As we were admiring the beautiful grounds and the girls wishing they could go out to the teahouse, we saw Mrs. Smith!

I snuck a picture. I couldn't help it. To think this women spent so many Summers at this house, sitting on this beach, going for tea in that teahouse on the little island. I wanted to talk to her. Just sit for hours and listen to her stories.

I asked CK if she wanted to meet Mrs. Smith. If she did, I would take her to say hello. We could introduce ourselves. CK thought for a moment and said no. O immediately said, "I do!" Okay, I told her let's go. I thought CK would then change her mind, but she didn't. I didn't push it. It was up to her.

O and I walked over to Mrs. Smith. She was talking with a few rangers and other people. Family or friends I imagine. I said, "Excuse me, Mrs. Smith?" I told her we were here visiting and my daughter and I wanted to say hello. She was very kind. She asked O how old she was and if she liked the house. O spoke in a soft clear voice, answering her questions as she looked up in ah at this old women who spent her Summers at the teahouse. Mrs. Smith told O the house was like a castle. All O could say was "Ooooooh." O told Mrs. Smith she liked the teahouse. Mrs. Smith said that was fun. They would have tea and little tea sandwiches there.

I didn't want to keep Mrs. Smith too long. We said thank you and good bye. She said "Come and visit us again."

I am very proud of O. She did very well. What a treat to meet Mrs. Smith.


There was a lot of wildlife on this hike and on the grounds of the mansion. Beware of this wildlife on the grounds. They are NOT afraid of people! It was great to photograph, but if you aren't feeding the geese they will nip at you!

The three little hikers.

The three hikers, overlooking Emerald Bay. What a view!


Monday we cleaned the house, packed up and all went home. Another wonderful Tahoe vacation.

We look forward to going back in August. We'll be able to spend time with friends who we don't get to see and celebrate a wedding! I'll make sure to post that trip as well.

No comments: